Methods for Cleansing and Charging Gemstones
Cleansing is the process by which one ‘purifies’ the energy of a gemstone. Energy, both positive and negative, can be transferred through various methods; the most common is that of touch. It is important to remember that gemstones natural environment is the earth. They gain, retain, transfer and rejuvenate their energy in this environment. In order for us to enjoy the energy they offer us, we remove them from their natural environment, thus cutting them off from their ability to recharge and gain additional energy. It is important to re-Charge the stones for full benefit of them.
- Smudging. First, lit a candle. Use it to light one end of the smudge stick. After extinguishing the fire and there is only smoke coming out from the smudge stick, get the gemstone and gently pass it through the smoke for several minutes
- Fire. In order to cleanse your stone from negative vibes, gently pass the gemstone through the flame of a lit candle until it feels clear. You can feel that it is totally cleared by using your intuition.
- Water. By using water, you can clear gemstones in three ways. Go to a brook or river and hold your gemstones so that the water covers and rushes through them – do this for several minutes. You can also place it outside in the rain for several hours. Another option is to use your faucet in washing away the negative vibrations in your gemstones. However, water is not effective method in clearing soft stones.
- Earth. The principle of gemstone clearing through earth is rooted on the idea that gemstones are well taken care of by Earth. Burying it will replace the negative vibrations into positive energies. Look for an ideal ground to bury the gemstone for one day. Make sure to place a marker so that you can easily identify the ground where you have buried it. This method also charges gemstone.
Charging a crystal or stone is to help it get its energy back to its fullest. First, clear any unwanted or negative energy from the crystal or other stone. Then proceed with the method of charging your crystal that feels best to you. With all methods of charging, first set your intention and state silently or aloud that you are doing this to charge your crystal for the best and highest good of all concerned.
- Moon Light. The moon's rays are very energizing, as well as energetically clearing. You can use this method to both clear and charge your crystals at the same time. Find a safe place and leave your gemstones overnight in moonlight.
- Sun Light. A good way to light your gemstones is to expose it directly under the sun for an hour. That said, don’t expose them to the direct sun for an extended time frame because it can be detrimental to the stone.
- Plant Method.Place your crystal among the leaves of a growing, healthy plant for 24 hours or more to charge it. This is said to bring growth energies to the charged crystal.
- Charging Grid. Take a group of quartz crystals (4 to 8 or more) and point them inward in a circle. Place the crystal or stone you want charged in the center of the circle and leave it there to charge for 24 hours or more.
Your gemstones will work best when they are cleared and cleansed. So, cleanse and activate them often! You can follow one of the methods on cleansing/charging gemstones above or even a combination to ensure that gemstones do only emit positive energies. Trust your intuition and higher self to lead you to the best methods and lengths of time for you and the stone.